Thursday, October 18, 2012

Date with God

My hubby went to bed early tonight.  When he first announced that he was exhausted and headed that way, I pouted and asked him to stay  up a little bit longer (I'm a night owl).  He, being the reasonable man that he is, explained he needed sleep so he could be rested and productive tomorrow.  I never think that way. So off to bed he went, and I went around the apartment straightening things.  I wasn't tired at all, so I decided to be busy.  I love people so much that I dislike being alone.  Putting the dishes away in my kitchen, a thought occurred to me,  I'm going to hang out with God tonight.  Excitement filled my heart, and I curled up on the couch with my Bible.  Through my  study, I've recently learned that we often complain or seek pity when God is working in our lives.  Tonight (after a little self-pity) I realized the opportunity he was giving me to spend time with him. How often do I miss those opportunities?  How often am I so blinded by myself that I miss his pursuing me?  I want to share with you that I had the sweetest time with our Lord tonight.  I prayed and read his word longer than I usually do.  I wasn't distracted; thinking about what errand I needed to run or dinner preparations.  No, I just spent time getting to know my Creator more.  It was bliss.
   Every day, I look forward to the evenings.  I think about getting to spend those special hours with my husband.   We love to play games, watch movies, go on walks, get ice cream... the list goes on and on.  My husband is wonderful at "dating" me.
   The evening is special to me; partly because I'm a night owl, but also because of that time with my husband.  God knows my heart, and he knows what I treasure.  While I love my husband, I know that only God can fullfill me and satisfy me.  Tonight, my evening was one I will always treasure.  I listened to my Redeemer say, let's spend time together.  I stopped complaining about being alone and realized I wasn't.  My heart is so full right now, and I am so thankful for this special night.  In the Lord's pursuing me, I am reminded that HE is my all in all.  He is the one I should seek and desire most.  He is my source, and the one I should run to first.
   I love to have fun.  To be truly honest, most of my decisions are based on which option sounds like more fun.  Studying has never been at the top of my fun list.  Knowing this about myself, I pray for the desire to read God's word.  In doing so, I've learned that nothing is more fun than discovering the richness of his word. So, yes, I first thought the idea of my husband going to bed early sounded like the least fun thing. I thought he should stay up and laugh with me, but instead God wanted me to stay up with him.
   Today, I didn't know that I was looking forward to a date with the Lord.  Let me share with you that nothing is more special. When I think of going on a date with my husband, my heart gets excited.  It's wonderful to be pursued by the man I love, but it is so much greater to be pursued by the Lord.  Have you ever noticed that most fairy tales involve a prince?  Most little girls can't dream of anything better than Prince Charming!  We all have that secret desire to be carried off to the land of happiness with our prince.  I think God plants that in our hearts, because he wants us to seek him.  You see, HE is the Prince of Peace; HE is the King of Kings.  He wants to sweep us off our feet, and eventually he wants us to live happily ever after in the Kingdom he's prepared for us.  Tonight was so good for me, because I was reminded that yes, my husband can make me smile and laugh, but it is God who gives me joy.  Jesus is who fullfills me.  He is who blesses me.  He is who gives me life.  He is my heart's desire.

"Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
you hold my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will receive me to glory.
Whom have I in Heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth I
desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever"
Psalm 73:23-26

No comments:

Post a Comment