Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Call to Greatness

Throughout my childhood, I was often asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. People asked this enough that I thought it was very important to answer.  I started thinking about it, and I decided I wanted to be a pop star.  I dreamed of singing in front of an audience, and I began writing songs.  When I was in high school, people would ask where I was planning to attend college, and what major I wanted to pursue.  I remember my peers applying for several colleges, and I remember feeling that we were all expected to "aspire for greatness." When I entered college, I felt stress in deciding on a major. I felt confused and torn, as if I could make the wrong decision.  This burden increased as I studied my senior year; the question I had been asked as a child haunted me.  People were looking at me and expecting answers;  I was just confused.  I prayed and prayed that God would lead me to his water.  I prayed that he would reveal his will for my life. What I didn't know, is that I was toiling in vain.  You see, his will for my life is himself. I will never forget the peace I found when I read, "He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms" Isaiah 40:11.  It gave me so much peace to know that Jesus, my shepherd, is carrying me.

In this country, we are obsessed with ourselves.  We are told to be something great. We are told to believe in ourselves. I have often heard people say when talking about others, "What a waste, they were so talented and they never used their talents." Let me challenge you, with the fact that all of our talents, and all of our knowledge is wasted if not bringing glory to the Father. Consider the people of Babel, they too were aspiring for greatness.  These were educated and talented people, who were looking to glorify themeselves. "Come, let us build ourselves a city and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be dispersed over the face of the whole earth" Genesis 11:3-4. God had commanded these people to multiply and fill the earth, but rather than desiring obedience they sought to glorify themselves.  In Genesis 11:7-9, God confused the language of these people so that they could not accomplish their task.  They scattered and dispersed, just as they were trying so desperately not to do.  What does this tell me?  All effort I have that is not in the will of the Creator, is in vain.  Yes, these people were skilled and educated, yet the work of their hands was meaningless.

Now consider Abraham, who is a biblical Patriarch.  He was a great man, because of his faith and his lineage that led to Christ.  He looked to the Father, rather than having an inward focus.  He wanted to glorify God, rather than himself.  Abraham was blessed, because he followed and loved the Lord.

I started thinking of how important it is that I leave a legacy of faith, rather than try to build a tower of vanity.  We are all building towers, and it is only through Christ that our towers of sin are crumbled. 
  
"But whatever gain I had, I counted loss for the sake of Christ.  Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ," Philipians 3:7-8.

Know that the blessing God promises, is the blessing of Christ. All earthly efforts will be forgotten, but glorifying the King of kings and the Lord of lords, lasts for eternity.  As I grow older, I realize more and more that I am called to greatness.  I am called to follow Jesus Christ, and there is nothing greater.

I want to leave you with this scripture:
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where theives break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasure in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart is also" Matthew 6:19-21.

Also, I challenge you to read Psalm 73 and be blessed.




No comments:

Post a Comment